Why can I not remember someone's name that I met hours ago (sometimes minutes) yet I can remember things from 40 years ago?
I had the impression to contact my childhood friends in Happy Camp. Probably due to having just recalled so many memories. Anyway, for whatever reason I can remember their address (Star Route - Happy Camp, Ca 96039) and their phone number (then area code (916) now (530) 493-2730). I even remember each of their names:
Robert or Bob (dad) - school teacher/basketball coach/car salesman
Dianne (mom) great lady, very fun and energetic - great artist
Misty - married Dan Hawkins (Boise state football coach and now NFL head coach)
Danny - good at track and went on to be a military helicopter pilot
Eric - my bud
Matt -
Kayla -
Niki -
Mitchell -
I mention remembering their names simply because there are people I meet and moments later don't recall their name. I would probably even struggle remembering every niece and nephew I have if I were to be totally honest. There are families in Utah where I went to church with them for years and after only 6 months I am even struggling to remember some last names let alone firsts.
So, why do some things stick and others are so very difficult to remember? I used to call Eric a lot I guess when I lived there but I moved 30 years ago. I have only called that number a handfull of times since. But, without any effort I have always remembered that number. Hmmm.
The mind is a complex and fascinating thing. Why do some people find certain things easy to remember while others struggle?
Take my wife for example. She remembers people's names very successfully (by the way, I am impressed). I struggle with that for sure. It takes many times usually before I can remember.
Before I ...
(sorry, I lost my train of thought).
Oh yeah, before I forget I want to express my appreciation for the many amazing family members and friends that bless the lives of my family! Beyond most things that is significant and deserving of note.
Here's to our complexities. Have a great day.
Download Now: let's get rude by Blush Design PDF
8 years ago
1 comments:
Uhhhmmmmm - so did you call them? How are they?
And we're not going to get into the whole memory thing with Kelly. Nope. Huh-uh! Absolutely NOT! Wait, what am I yelling about?
Post a Comment