Sunday, March 1, 2009

Thankful for my shouder "angel"

I get to sit in the chapel for all 3 meetings! The high priests group meets there first, then the sunday school is held there and finally sacrament. I learned that it is wise to relocate even though I stay in the same room. My body is getting older for sure and my lower back begins to hurt and different parts of my body go numb if I stay in the same place.

For a number of weeks I have sat in a seat that allows me to see members of the ward as they come in for their other meetings. An older sister in a wheelchair is typically escorted in by a member of her family. They sit on the very back row next to the curtain opposite the doors that enter the chapel. Without fail she made eye contact with me and smiled very big. I always smiled back. 2 sundays ago I was sitting on the "other" back row (before the walk way that seperates the furthest back row from the others). As she came in she made eye contact and smiled. I smiled back. But, this time I had an impression to tell her that she looked very nice today. As she came closer, all the while smiling, my shoulder angels were going at it! I almost allowed the "weaker" angel to convince me that to do so would be awkward and uncomfortable. Maybe it wouldn't sound sincere. Maybe a smile would be sufficient.

Fortunately, my shoulder angel came to my rescue, again! When she was right next to me I extended my hand and she took it in the normal clasp. But, then she gently placed her other hand over the top of our clasped hands. With every second I felt the warm and genuine message that she intended. With her help I found the courage to overcome my thoughts of hesitancy and spoke, "you look very nice today". Her already glowing smile grew and with all the sincerety of her heart she thanked me. With my being new to the ward neither of us knew the other except for our few opportunities to exchange pleasantries. I didn't even know her name.

I was thankful at that moment that I had listened. I felt good. However, not as thankful as I was the following Sunday. I learned what this nice sister's name was as Bishop announced that she had passed away this past week.

I thank my Heavenly Father for my "shoulder angel".

2 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

I just got home from stake conference. We had Elder Paul V. Johnson of the Seventy speak to us both last night and this morning. Today he spoke of the need for each of us to stop worrying about what other people might think or how awkward it might be and to follow the promptings we receive. So, way to go my brother! Regret is a horrible thing.

shawn rowley said...

i'm sorry she is gone. i'm glad you followed your better angel, your a good man.

....by small and simple things are great things brought to pass.....

have a good week