When the missionaries came to Happy Camp and taught our family we began going to church in a rented building due to not having our own meeting house. The available building was the "grange" hall. The grangers would meet there Saturday evening for their socials which included drinking, smoking and card playing. The next morning the 20 plus mormons would hold church in this sacred building. We would hold an adult class and a youth class. Each with very little attendance. In addition to my little brother and 2 little sisters a boy my age, Tony Titus, would attend. It was a very interesting way to begin exposure to the LDS religion. We were a "dependant" branch which simply means we did not have our own leadership and were overseen by a ward in our stake. Our stake center was in Ashland, Oregon 120 miles away. Each sunday a leader from the Etna, California Ward would drive 70 miles down the river to oversee our meetings. I will not complain about having to drive 20 miles to Oakley to our Stake Center occassionally!
As a 9-15 year old boy (the duration of my LDS experience in Happy Camp) it helped to have a little motivation to attend church. Fortunately, I had a life saver each and every sunday! An entire roll to be exact. You see, an elderly man by the name of Walt Hill lived in our little community. Walt was a member of our church. He lived alone. He repaired pianos which was obviously a thriving business in a town of 800 people in the middle of the mountains in the 1970's. Simply put, he was a simple man of simple means. Yet, he was a significant man with significant insight.
Walt was a life saver. An eternal life saver to be exact. Every sunday I would actually be excited about getting to go to church. Whatever miracle that made that a reality is worth mentioning. And, so I will. During the meet and greet and catch up on gossip stage of church (you know, the time people mingle and talk including the first 5 minutes of church) each of us kids would hunt Walt down. He would do as he had every previous Sunday morning. He would hold his dress jacket open to reveal the bulky inside pockets. Each of us kids would then reach in and wrap our hand around our reward for coming to church - an entire roll of lifesavers! If lucky I would get butter rum. My second choice would be tropical fruit flavor (for the creamy ones of course!). To this day I don't know why he included wintergreen in the mix for little kids but that would dash my excitement quickly! I was being taught that gambling was evil yet I was doing it everytime I reached into Walt's pocket! Fortunately, it was rare that I ended up with those minty breath fresheners. Try as I might it was impossible to convince either of my little sisters that trading for their butter rum was a good idea. So, I would find what pleasure I could out of my prize.
As kids candy was not a regular treat so candy in any form was very well received. Lifesavers were a particular favorite of mine. The roll would last almost the entire meeting some sundays. I couldn't understand as a boy why my sister would saver hers and actually have some left when we got home. Now I realize it was to turture me once mine where gone! In reflecting on this cherished memory I realize something that I took for granted as a boy. Walt Hill was a very key blessing in my life and I will eternally be grateful. I am thankful for his willingness through simple acts of kindness to impact my life for good.
I thank him and remember him with love and appreciation.
Download Now: let's get rude by Blush Design PDF
8 years ago
3 comments:
Walt!!!!! I loved Walt. I have no memory whatsoever of the lifesavers, but I'm fairly certain that I was the sister to have some left to take home after church. I remember Walt kept a box of laundry detergent at his house with loose change dropped in it and he would let me scrounge through it to find pennies, nickles, and dimes whenever we went there. I think I still have some of those pennies, nickles, and dimes. My tight fisted-ness (not a real word, I know) clearly started at a young age, and apparently it can be traced back to Walt. Who knew?
No recollection of lifesavers - but I'm with Julie on this one, there's NO WAY I would have had leftovers after church.
I remember the detergent, it seems he gave one of us one for our birthday.
Ju - I'm certain that I stole and spent all of your loose change on candy bars in Idaho. Sorry. Sad but true.
I remember attending "primary" there where it was just us coloring. And who was the guy sitting behind us during sacrament who could move the hair on his head back and forth without touching it? CREEPY!! But the pioneer activity with our dresses and bonnetts and stew and wood chopping - neat-O!
Walt baptized me in Idaho when he lived with us. I loved that man as well! He had a funky, plastic bald man's comb that had a loop to put your finger through. Ha!! He also had a super duper cool oval, plastic coin holder that you'd pinch to open up. He was amazing!!
Too bad he killed our cat.
Again, thanks Mike for the memories.
That was a really fun and memorable activity KJ. Between you and I Ju did't have a chance to save as a kid. That is why she is so good at it as an adult. You realize that she owes you and I big for teaching her that lesson!
Post a Comment