I have been asked to speak this Sunday on self-reliance. As I have studied and prepared for this assignment I felt compelled to share some of the information with those I care about. What better way than to spend 5 minutes blogging!
Did you know that our leaders have been "strongly" admonishing us to prepare and be obedient to this doctrine since 1936 (self reliance). None of us will have the ability to claim we did not hear the prophecy and command. The fact is, we have heard it repeatedly our entire lives.
I asked Wendy what her thoughts were. As usual, she had great insights and thoughts. She said that years ago a sister discussed this very subject in a lesson. The thing that she remembers from her talk was this:
"If we are spending money on anything unnecessary or selfish before we have a full years supply of food and water for each member of our family we are essentially stealing from them. How are we to feel when a catastrophe comes and we have no way to provide food or water for our children! Would that extra blouse or piece of furniture be of any use at that time?"
The March ensign has wonderful articles on this subject. The Church has come out with a new approach toward obtaining our supply "Family Home Storage: A New Message" on page 56.
We are simply to begin and then each time we shop get something extra even if it is 1 can of product. Eventually, even at the slowest pace we will continue to gather until enough is stored to be of benefit. Something is better than nothing.
This approach will allow us to follow the Prophet's instruction and "commandment" without our feeling overwhelmed.
I believe that there are 3 likely reasons members fail to follow this commandment.
1- Lack of testimony in respect to this doctrine (or belief in it's importance)
2- Failed conviction to be obedient (complacency)
3- Procrastination (possibly due to #2)
Why do we obey many commandments successfully and fail to even try to follow others?
Simply put, by failing to be obedient to the Prophet's direction in this matter we are hurting not only ourselves but we are putting at risk the welfare and protection of those we love most.
I challenge each of my family members to strive to master this commandment. Begin by reading the articles (scripture/revelation) found in the March 2009 ensign.
I know that Wendy and I have a renewed attitude and level of obedience. I am pleased with her efforts which have resulted in half of our storage shelves being filled just since we have moved to Burley - a little extra every week when she shops and Ta-Dah!
Download Now: let's get rude by Blush Design PDF
8 years ago
2 comments:
Felicia and I have attempted to build up some food storage several times but haven't made any big strides. That would be my fault however. She is always pointing out the giant bags of beans, rice, flower and whatnot at Sam's Club. I probably just give her raised eyebrows like, "uhhhh.. I dunno" then she'll say, "maybe next time". We just got our tax returns. No more excuses. I'm writing in down on the dry erase board. Thanks Mike.
1 can at a time if necessary brother. Good luck.
Post a Comment