Monday, May 25, 2009

Augghhhh... little blood sucker!

Ok, I remember from when I was a boy that you should burn the end of the tick to make him "back out". I had also heard you could cover him with gel or vicks and he couldn't breath and would "back out".

But, after discovering one embedded in my leg the day after my camping trip I decided to research it on the internet before performing surgery. Glad I did. Both of the methods I knew are BAD. I guess if you burn him he simply throws up into your blood stream which is not what you want. He might end up backing out but he leaves a nasty little gift.

The proper way is to get blunt forceps (tweezers) and gently pull until he realeases. So, I did. Hopefully, I was able to get his head and mouth out. Just to be sure I performed minor surgery at the opening until I was confident his little parts were extracted with my layers of flesh. I would rather an open wound on my leg than a tick head floating around inside me. Yuck.
Happy to report I am now tick free and pretty confident tick part free. By the way, this time of year is optimal wood tick season. If you go to the mountains check yourself over really well afterward. I had a total of 7 that I found inside my shirt and on my neck. Only the one went undiscovered and later became embedded.

5 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

well that's absolutely disgusting.

JP Anderson said...

Amen KJae.

Julie said...

I get it . . . you told us that while story for one reason . . . you like to check yourself out and you decided that hunting for ticks is a good excuse to do that without people thinking you are creepy. It's okay, brother, we accept you in spite of your odd obsession with yourself. You don't need creepy tick stories to justify it.

Jen said...

That was gross - but I think Julies idea of yourself is grosser! YUCK JULIE!!! LOL!!! Just pickin on big brother eeeh!!! Good for you!

A THORN AMONG ROSES said...

Well, I do look pretty good with my shirt off... especially for 44 1/2 wait, 44 2/3 LOL. Now, if I could just do something about this receding hair line...

(I really had a tick attack JULIE! What did I ever do to you! Wait, don't answer that.)