Wednesday, May 20, 2009

12 year old mastermind...

I am thrilled to be the 2nd counselor in the YM and to get to work with the great group of boys that are in my ward! We have a camp out this weekend. So, the Scout Master (never before in scouts as a boy or adult) and I will be braving our first overnighter with these boys this weekend. I have a hunch that it might be very interesting!

Last night we met at the bowery at our church and gutted the scout trailer and threw away a lot of stuff! We then organized the salvageable items and organized it. Then, we made a huge fire in the bowery fireplace and roasted hot dogs. One boy brought cans of pepsi for everyone. The other boys let him have it for bringing "caffeine". This boy is one of those that knows just how to push your button(s) yet has a real talent for laughing just right and being just goofy enough to prevent you from killing him and even to start laughing yourself. My little brother Roy was expert at that.

Well, to give you a glimpse at what I am in for with this calling I will describe the events that unflolded after eating. I was summoned from the trailer to "check" on the fire. As I approached it I should have clued in by noticing the boys backing up, but didn't. I hadn't stood there 30 seconds when there was an explosion. To be honest, it made me jump back. But, not before the boiling pepsi soda sprayed me with syrup and ash. By now the boys were laughing and running for their lives. So, I gathered my wits and then marched straight toward the boys while acting as upset as I could. I was really laughing inside but didn't want them to know it. So, just before reaching the boy that planted the cola bomb I started to laugh myself. But, that didn't stop me from throwing him over my shoulder and carrying him to the grass so I could hold him down while the other boys thumped him for me. It was a great bonding moment.

Now, here is the scary aspect of it all for me. I was totally set up. They did it all so they could capture it on their cell phone camcorder. As it unfolded the mastermind little demon was actually filming it. It was somewhat like watching a documentary of a hunter stocking it's prey... speaking in whispers so as to not startle, etc.

So, if you end up seeing a clip on YouTube don't be too suprised. I won't!

2 comments:

shawn rowley said...

yikes ..... i think someone needs to poor clorine in their gene pool.

Unknown said...

Ahhh...Scouting...Church-sponsored training for anarchists...