Saturday, February 21, 2009

No, I am not too excited about blogging!

I know! I only waited minutes before posting a new entry. That isn't due to over-excitement. It is due to my bad memory. I had the thought to share insights I have gained in respect to my father and was worried that I would forget.

As a child you simply see things for what you think they are. Some of my memories show that I was very critical and judgemental. Of great importance in reflecting on those memories is to realize that the persepective was that of a fairly immature 8 year old. As I have grown older and have come to experience life as a husband and father I have gained insights and huge respect for my parents. For now, I am going to share some of my insights in respect to my father.

At the age of 21 big Jim became my father. A man very large in stature. A lumber jack. A Navy man. The heavy weight boxer on his ship. However, he also became the father of my 3 mean older brothers. I like them now but they were mean then. Or, at least they were a few years later. My mother had previously been married. Mom was a few years older than Dad. So, at 21 years of age he began his training as a Father. At 23 he added my little brother Roy (not so little anymore). At the age of 25 he added the first girl to the mix, Julie. She survived. At the age of 27 he added the last of my siblings and second sister, KJ. She also survived. Both, barely. As brothers we did our best to make their survival a challenge.

So, at the age of 27 big lumberjack Jim became the father of 7 children! What I thought at the time to be an awkward at best effort at being my dad I now feel quite differently about. Mere success in this situation is commendable. Yet, every one of his children graduated from High School. Every one of his children have secured gainful employment which has allowed them to provide well for their families. Every one of his children are married and have provided him with grandchildren. Every one of his children have taken lessons and traits learned from him and have used them in life for good. None of his children have struggled with drug use or run-ins with the law. Some might say these are simple accomplishments. Those people simply don't realize the statistical significance of these accomplishments having raised his family in Happy Camp during the 70's.

The most significant example my father provided me was by simply being a Father. In at least my memories and observations my father deserves praise. He became the care giver and provider of 3 boys that were not biologically his. However, there is every evidence that those 3 little boys grew to become his sons in every respect just as if they were biologically his. I know that not every man has the ability to have accomplished that. In being deeply honest with myself I question whether I could have. I know that my brothers love my father as I do. They have every right to. He is their father. I am thankful I grew up in a home where that was true. Thank you dad. I appreciate, respect and love you.

7 comments:

JP Anderson said...

I knew this would be good for you. Thanks for giving us some background to your upbringing. I believe that is key in understanding people. Keep sharing. JP

shawn rowley said...

good thoughts. it is sometimes difficult to shed the mantle of child and son, to see things clearly as a man today. but it feels better.

Ging said...

Thank you Mike. I think one of the greatest gifts parenthood gives is a greater love and respect for your own parents.

Kelly Hill said...

Wow! That's some incredible insight into Dad. I've felt those same things but haven't articulated it as well.

One minor issue: Dad was 30 when I was born, which makes him 66 this year. That means he was 27 when Ju was born, then blah blah blah.

Again, so happy you're blogging. Doesn't it feel great? Love you. kj

A THORN AMONG ROSES said...

Thanks for the clarification sis. I tried doing the math well enough to be accurate but you know us Landrums and our math abilities. LOL. Love ya.

Julie said...

Way to jerk me out of my happy place, Kel. I like Mike's math better - I think that makes me younger and I'll take a few extra years anyway I can get them.

Kelly Hill said...

; )

heh heh - - - heh!

Love you.