Saturday, February 21, 2009

The beginning

Since I am going to try to be diligent in this blog forum I thought I would simply start at the beginning and communicate whatever comes to mind. I am sure that as with anything the format and content will go naturally where it will as time and passes. Keep in mind, this is probably mostly for me to get things out of my head and communicated in some form. I am told that is healthy and therapeutic. Hopefully, I won't bore your to tears. Of course, you have free agency and can choose whether to keep reading or not.

I was born in Yreka, California. That is within an hour of Medford, Oregon on the California side of the border. My dad worked driving heavy equipment in the sawmills and mountains. When I was born my folks lived in a quaint little home in Greenview, California. The home's only heat source was a wood burning fireplace. I believe the manufacturer was Roylance or Royce because my little brother Roy was burnt by it and had most of his name branded to his arm if my memory serves correctly. I promise I had nothing to do with it. But, since we had 3 older brothers I can't speak for them. As an older brother I may very well have thought it a good idea to brand him under the circumstances. I have a few vivid memories from when I lived there. I was sitting on a picnic table with my Father and my Uncle Lyn. I had been given a new (sharp) pocket knife. As I was crudely whitling a stick the knife found its way into the meatiest part of my thigh. I have a 4" scar on my right leg from that experience. We had a large dog that as kids we of course loved. When our family moved down river 70 miles to Happy Camp when I was in 3rd grade we could not find our dog. I was heart broken. We ultimately learned that Mr. Perrera (sp?) that lived up the hill from us had shot our dog. I believe that was the first time I felt hatred. A truly powerful emotion. I actually remember his last name 37 years later. I have since forgiven him. But, we will have a discussion if I run into him in Heaven. I remember a small stream that ran alongside our home. As kids we lived in it. We picked wild mint that grew along it's banks and chewed on it. We caught poly-wogs and frogs (depending of course on their stage of growth). I vividly remember how curious the little frogs with tails were to my imagination. We were truly young explorers finding a new species. Why a boy would think saving a creature in a glass jar half full of stagnant and progressively warming water was a good thing to do escapes me now. But, I know for a certainty that many poly-wogs failed to loose their tails and become little frogs because of my curiousities. They have probably forgiven me but will likely want to communicate with me later if frogs go to Heaven. I bet a few grasshoppers, butterflies and even a kangaroo rat may as well.

We moved to the magical town of Happy Camp when I was in 3rd grade. I experienced the rest of my childhood as one of 800 original Happy Campers. All others are imposters.

4 comments:

shawn rowley said...

keep on dude this is cool an interesting.

Kelly Hill said...

Love the memories! I used to tag along with you in Happy Camp when you caught poly wogs. I remember huge bullfrogs in the swampy area as well. Oh yeah, and those horrible times that you'd take me to a swimming hole to "teach" me how to swim.... when you promised you wouldn't let go out in the deep parts.... when you DID let go out in the deep parts. Oh yeah, and floating down the river behind our house on our rear ends, no tubes needed, and I lost a flip flop. What, was I 5??!? I can't believe our parents ever allowed that. I have great memories of HC! Wasn't there some sort of glass house up some steep dirt road on the mountain by our house? Did it also have a miniature golf course? I have vague memories of that. And the library program during the summer.

Oh my gosh, what a great trip down memory lane. Thanks!

A THORN AMONG ROSES said...

KJ, the initial poly-wogs were in Greenview in the stream next to Aunt Linda's house. But, we did catch our share of Bull Frogs in Happy Camp! And yes, there was a house up the hill with a miniature golf course. If memory serves they gave full sized candy bars for Halloween!

Kelly Hill said...

Full sized candy bars??!? I might be makin' a trip up there this Halloween!

I know things seemed bigger and steeper and more treacherous as a child, but wasn't it about a 3 mile hike up to that house, virtually vertical?

We have poly wogs here in EM! We've tried to grow a couple of frogs on occasion. What, you didn't know there was a body of water out here? Yup, just a small, swampy area in the middle of the city. Strange! We can even hear bullfrogs on quiet summer evenings. Love it!