Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tribute to one of my wonderful daughters...

I have thought a lot about how lucky I am with the amazing daughters that I have. One of the things that is fascinating as a parent is to see how unique and individual each child is. I am thankful for that. Each has strengths and weaknesses unique to the challenges they are expected to face. Watching them excell in certain things and struggle in others is an interesting thing. You want to cheer and applaud as they excell and step in as a protector (or motivator) when they struggle.

Anyway. I actually felt impressed to talk about my lovely 18 year old "in limbo" senior (not) daughter Savanna.

AKA: Boosy. Banna Boo. Bo Banna. Sanna. Sis. Son. Fee Fie Fo Fanna Bannana or something like that (grandma Bonnie).

Something absolutely innapropriate to do is to expect one child to be like another. And, why would you as long as both are doing well and are on track? Having said that, it is impossible not to notice the differences in your children. As parents we began our training with Brit. A very driven and focused over achiever. Britney was very independant and did not like to have contact or affection. I don't remember having to give her very much direction or push because by the time I would have she wouldn't be there to push. She would already be heading that direction. A great kid for sure.

But, just as amazing yet in her own way is my lovely Savanna. Savanna is MUCH more relaxed and laid back than Britney (or her dad) is. Sometimes that drives me crazy just because it isn't my nature but truthfully, I am glad she is. I have wondered at times whether she would accomplish things (anything) because of it but those thoughts were SO UNWARRANTED it makes me laugh in hindsight.

For example. Early on in high school I was frustrated at what appeared to be complacency. But, then my laid back little boosie tackles college credit classes and whoops them, does very well on her ACT's and takes extra classes (self driven) to graduate a semester early from high school! All of this results in her easily being accepted to 2 colleges of her choice.

Savanna has a talent for art that her dad is very impressed by. I love her drawings. I wish she would post a few on her blog for all to enjoy. At the same time she is so humble in her ways that she down plays her skill and ability. I will make a plug as her Dad that it is alright to recognize talents - do not hide them under a bushel.

Savanna is a great friend and I know that her non-judgemental ways have been a blessing in many peoples lives. I am proud of her for that. If an individual maintains their strength and standing yet pulls others not so priviledged to stand on equal ground that individual is to be admired. Savanna, your dad admires you.

Savanna is VERY wity. She is so reserved and of so little words most of the time that when she decides to kick in with some well timed whit it is very funny. Thank you for making me laugh. There have been many times it was needed.

Out of the blue Savanna will throw her arms around me or jump in the middle of my lap and kiss my cheek and say, "I love you dad". It is impossible to say how much that means to a dad so I won't try. But, I will say I deeply appreciate it.

I could go on about how thankful I am for such a great daughter but I am probably already in trouble for waving the flag of my "non-flag-waving" daughter. But, I will say this... I am proud of you and appreciate the young woman that you are! Love ya. Dad.

7 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

She's a sweetie, for sure. What a great tribute. And from a daddy!! That makes me smile.

Savanna's own blog says she actually IS a flag-waver. : )

Savanna Landrum said...

Thanks dad! But I for sure am a flag waver...just in a more literal sense. haha. anyway, love ya.

shawn rowley said...

that was truley excellent! she is hard to get to know...

and now i can appriciate her more.

Amy said...

Daughters NEVER forget words of praise and admiration from their fathers. Way to go Mike.

JP Anderson said...

I've always liked how Savanna handles herself. That was a welled written and deserved tribute. Keep being you Savanna.

Terri said...

Banna is so deserving of that reminder of how awesome she is. When she hid her empty brownie bowl under her bed or threw wrappers behind her dresser Wen and I decided she was actually my daughter. Im all to happy to claim her. Im with Aim daddys words are so special!

Julie said...

Who would have ever thought that the two-year-old Boose who made me laugh everytime I saw her (Remember the green permanent marker? Dancing on the table more than once? The video with her arm "stuck" in the couch until you tricked her into thinking you had some candy - that's on video somewhere, isn't it?) would turn out to be a mellow teen-ager? Her wit doesn't surprise me even a little bit because she was born with it. Now that I think about it, do you think there's a chance that Noah will grow into a mellow kid?????