Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pay day...

OK, today was one of those pay day kinda days.

Much like when I was in my early 20's and had the priviledge of being scout master to some great boys for almost 2 years. Then, as the years went by one by one they invited me to their eagle court of honors. Then, I received a high school graduation announcement. Then, I was notified when they went on missions. Then, I was invited to their weddings. All pay days.

Earlier today I received a phone call from a new friend. We have known each other just over a year. However, we became very close in a short time. I had the priviledge of serving him and his wife.

Most of you are probably aware of the amazing opportunity I had to help a family add on and remodel their home. She was diagnosed with stage 4 skin cancer. Upon being asked to provide a quote to do the work I instantly knew what I wanted to do. In so doing I witnessed hundreds of people selflessly provide their service and love. I too was the beneficiary of this in that it made me have hope in difficult times and to lose myself in their cause making my own challenges at the time seem much smaller.

One of the amazing blessings of the experience was to be available to my new friends to talk about Christ, eternal life and true happiness. To answer difficult questions. To share life lessons. To testify. To cry together. To smile together.

She had been a member her whole life but went inactive in high school. He was baptized but never went to church. They both lived lives with regrets. Don't we all. Her illness awoke a desire in her to be close to God and to have an eternal family. To marry her husband in the Temple and to have her 2 daughters sealed to her. She opened up to me and shared a deep desire to clear up mistakes in her life so she would be worthy. But, she was embarrassed and scared. She feared what her Bishop would think of her.

I had specific thoughts enter my mind to help her and so I spoke. In essence this is what was said, "What words come to mind as you think of Christ and his feelings about you?". She answered, "Love, hope, sacrifice, happiness, forgiveness, salvation". I said, "Exactly". Now, what words come to mind when you think of Satan?" She said, "Sin, evil, sadness, despair, hell". I said, "Exactly".

Now, who do you think is the author of the negative words embarrassed and scared? Does Christ want you to feel those negative emotions? Of course not. He is cheering you on. He suffered so that you can be free of suffering. She and I both cried. I told her that her Bishop would not think badly of her. He would come to admire her on a higher level and would do everything in his power to help her. I told her that upon resolving the things that have drug her down for so many years she would feel a huge sense of relief and hope. Much like a great load being lifted from her shoulders.

That night I received a phone call from a very excited and happy young woman. She said, "Never guess where I have been! My husband and I both went and talked with the Bishop and cleared up everything!". She was right. I wouldn't have guessed. After I left that morning the spirit really worked on her. She knew she couldn't let another day go by. From that moment on their lives have been blessed.

As we built the addition I had multiple amazing visits with her husband and was able to answer questions as well as testify to him. The spirit was always very strong. They are GREAT people. Their oldest little girl was baptized a month later. She wanted her daddy to talk on baptism. He was scared to death. However, his wife and I helped him and he prepared and delivered an amazing talk. My family and I were blessed to be there for the baptism. Multiple family members told me that they would never have believed that he would come to church let alone give a talk.

In her last trip to Mexico a few months ago for Stem Cell treatment she was diagnosed cancer free! From stage 4 to cancer free! The Lord is actively blessing them in their lives. They know that He is.

Today I received a phone call from my friend. He told me that in May he and his family will be sealed for time and all eternity and that he would love for my wife and I to be there.

I consider myself paid in full and then some. A nice pay day to be sure.

7 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

Beautiful!

I was going to ask you about them recently and then forgot again. What a great story!

Amy said...

Definitely a pay day. Beautiful story.

Jen said...

Wowzer! Thanks for the good cry!! Love you guys!

shawn rowley said...

that is so cool you must have had your testimony strengthened greatly by such a wonderfull experience.

Unknown said...

Good work, bishop... (yeah, that's right, I mean you!)

Kelly Hill said...

uhhhhmmmmm, bishop??!?

A THORN AMONG ROSES said...

Don't worry KJAE, my brother-in-law Scott just likes to tease me. I am what I should be... a home teacher and 2nd counselor in the YM. Love it. Save a boy save a village.