I went to UVSC for 2 years starting when I was 30. I studied classes that would allow me to prepare for the secondary ed courses at BYU. I planned to teach history/health and coach basketball. My true passion laid in the plans to coach. After being accepted at BYU and enrolled for classes my life took another course and 4 days away from starting at BYU I moved on. Providing for my family then took priority. 14 years later I am now in a secure job that offers me flexibility especially in the winter months.
A few weeks ago I was approached by Oakley High School because I had mentioned to some friends about my interest in eventually coaching basketball. As it works out, I am now the JV boys basketball coach (9th/10th grade) for Oakley High. I am extremely excited about it. But, now that it has happened I am also VERY much finding myself feeling inadequate. I have loved basketball always and have played it a lot. But, the last organized and coached ball I played was in 1979 when I was 15. Other than our Explorer team that won 2nd place in nationals in 1983. But, that was coached by our Explorer leader. Pretty much street ball with some structure.
To properly coach a high school level team you must know defenses (man-man; 3-2 zone; 1-2-2 zone; 1-3-1 zone; 2-2-1 press; 3-1-1 press; 1-3-1 press, etc....) and offense (just as many options). You also must understand many many rules and practice drills and then organize all of this with 12 teenage boys to help them focus, work hard and succeed.
Oh boy, am I excited! Pray for me. Pray for the boys.
Download Now: let's get rude by Blush Design PDF
8 years ago
10 comments:
Wow! What an awesome opportunity that landed in your lap. You will have so much fun and will have so much opportunity to influence these boys for good, not just in basketball but in life. Take it and run- you will do great!
oops- that was Amy, but Scotty usually feels the same way I do.
I have every confidence in you. Seriously.
Dad! I'm so excited for you, good luck.
That is sooo awesome for you! I'm excited for you too! Good for you Mike! If you can reset your own nose you can certainly do this!
i know you will do this well from the start, and continue to improve.
these boys will remember you and your characture, your determination to excell regaurdless of the conditions or resources. you can do this. i am sure of it.
Congrats! You will be an awesome coach - proof that it's never too late to catch your dreams - I'm banking on that...
OHHHHHH BOY!!! Here it is Mike. I've heard you talk about this opportunity for a LONG time. Your time to shine. And shine you will! You gotta let me know when you've got a game... or 10. It won't be easy or convenient but I gotta see you do your thing out there. I'm calling a Boys Night Out. For some time.
Besides the obvious, the good news is that 9th and 10th grade boys are generally too preoccupied with other things (like walking and talking at the same time) to really be able to learn things like zones and presses anyway. Even if you mess up everybody will just attribute it to teenage boys being teenage boys. You shrug your shoulders in response and say "What are you gonna do? Boys will be boys . . ." and the heat is off you.
Then again, you are talking sports. And parents get all freaky when their team isn't winning. Especially in a place like Oakley where there really is no other game in town. Can you say pressure? You can go ahead and start freaking out right about now. Really all you need to know is how to make them run lines and jump the stairs. Win or lose that's what my coaches always made me do and we believed that they knew what they were doing even if they didn't.
Seriously though, you are going to be a-w-e-s-o-m-e (as in the cheer where they spell out the word . . . if you don't know it ask Kelly. She would be happy to do it for you, with the arm actions and jumps and everything.
Okay. That is totally impressive Mike. Things are always better outside of your comfort zone. Have fun and I am sure you will meet the challenge
Post a Comment