Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Coach Landrum

I like the sound of that. My 3 older brothers are all coaches also. 2 high school level and one competition leagues. I guess there must be something in our upbringing that lends to an intrigue.

I have had 2 early morning tryout practices. Very impressed with the boys. They are good kids and hard workers. There are definitely some that do not have the skills or coordination yet. I have 19 that are trying out. We can put jerseys on 13. I hate the thought of cutting a boy that has his heart set on going for it. As a sophomore I moved to a much bigger school and was 100% intimidated but so wanted to play. Without knowing anyone very well on shaky knees I convinced myself to go to open gym where the coach could watch you. He embarassed me and handled me totally wrong for what I particularly needed at the time. That has made me VERY sensitive to each boy. After wrestless nights I came up with a plan and presented it to the Varsity coach. I was so pleased that he agreed with my thinking.

I will set a fixed team of 10 players instead of 13 and cuts. I will then allow any boy that will commit himself to hard practice with the "chance" to suit up and play occassionally to be on the team. Based on effort and attitude 3 boys will suit up for each game from the remaining 9. Each boy that dedicates himself to working hard and showing to practice will play in at least 1 game. The fixed squad will not have a secure position. If they slack and another boy earns their spot they will drop down.

I do not have to cut 1 boy. The ones that choose to still come to practice will show me that they truly want to be part of the team and that they have character.

I truly believe that 9th and 10th grade boys are very much in a developmental stage and it is impossible to determine which may grown into amazing athletes. There will probably be a few from the practice squad that will end up starting Varsity as Seniors. That will be a huge payoff for me! The JV team's purpose is to prepare boys to fill roles on the Varsity team. Nothing will please me more than to bring a boy from a hesitant awkward freshman that would have likely been cut to contributing huge!!!

Next Wednesday is our first game after 7 days of practice! Woo Whoooo.

9 comments:

Amy said...

What a great idea Mike! I love that you are opening up the opportunity to those with the heart to succeed. Should be a fun season. Way to go Coach.

Em said...

Wow. I wish they'd done that my first year at Fremont for girls soccer. Much bigger school, first year of high school...oi. I wanted it so bad, but after one "no" I never went back and tried out again. I think I'll probably regret that for some time. Great solution to what is truly the goal, prepping a willing, skilled team of kids for their varsity futures. :)

Terri said...

I love the idea it is so hopeful and fresh. Coach where??? This is looking like it was a great move for you guys, minus the date night options.

Jen said...

You're going to be a great coach - I can see that! Great ideas! I love to give everyone a fair chance! Way to Go coach Landy! Just let the boys know that your sister-in-law whooped your butt last season in football!

Savanna Landrum said...

Nice idea papa. Very you. Love you lots.

Unknown said...

Even though it took over twenty years to happen, you finally have some boys to raise. Great work, coach!

JP Anderson said...

The first year I think I actually had a chance to play I too had just moved to a bigger school and didn't know anybody, literally. I was out of my comfort zone and was oh so nervous. Needless to say I did not make the team. Your idea is great and is just what a few of those boys need.

shawn rowley said...

that is a great blend of the need to acknowlege tallent, hard work, and the desire to improve all of those qualities. i feel that some who end up over coming maturity level and improve their tallents will have learn to do that from you. they will yet become stars in basketball and every aspect of life, in your system.

good job coach.

Julie said...

Amazing. You just gave me an idea for a blog post of my own. Stay tuned though, because I'm not sure when I'll get to it. I have a little boy who wants to play . . . but he's not exactly the athletic type. How do you tell an 8-year-old that he can't play because the other kids and the other dads don't think he's good enough and nobody seems to have the patience or the willingness to just encourage him to keep trying and working hard. He's 8 and already seemingly aged out of basketball. It's sick and makes me long for the small town of my childhood.

It's interesting to me how some people turn traumatic childhood events into excuses to cower or give up, while others manage to use those difficulties as a force for something positive. I've done both and I don't exactly know what makes the difference.

What I do know is that some of your boys will most likely give up because your route is going to be more difficult for those who may have more talent but less heart. Unfortunately those kids aren't generally used to the struggle. Then you will likely have a couple who think they want to play, but ultimately they won't have the talent or the heart. And I'm certain that at least one or two of your boys will fall into the category that you were in - raw but determined - and you will impact them in a way that you probably can't even imagine. How does it feel to think that, as adults, at least a couple of these kids will look back on their experience with you as a positive turning point in their young lives? Bravo, brother.