Today would be McKaylee Brooke's 21st birthday. Having taken a job in Idaho I had to leave my sweetheart in Utah toward the end of her pregnancy. I left late Friday night August 5th to drive to Provo where she was staying with her sister Ginger. I had Britney with me. Around Snowville I became excessively tired around 1:00 am and pulled to the side of the road. I slept soundly as did Brit. A semi rocked the car and awoke me a few hours later. I continued my drive. As far as I knew I was driving down to take Wendy to a stress test the doctor had finally scheduled 9 days beyond the due date.
When I arrived at Scott and Ginger's home I found a note on the door that said that they had left for the hospital. I drove very fast to Payson where our doctor was. My emotions and senses where heightened. I was in fear I would be too late. Brit was in my arms and we were walking very fast. As we rounded the corner and looked down the long hallway I saw my brother Scott Livinston sitting in a chair with his head lowered as if tired. It was early morning so this didn't look out of place to me. As he looked up - his expression was lacking the "hurry up look" which gave me a false sense of comfort. I slowed my pace. But, as I got closer I realized there was more to his countenance than I first saw. It was then that I knew something was wrong. My thoughts immediately went to the fact that it might be Wendy. I said, "Scott, what's wrong... is it Wendy?" As he shook his head in a negative manner I fully realized that it was our long awaited 2nd baby girl. The sister to our sweet Brit. The new spirit we had anxiously prepared to have in our home. At that moment words were not necessary. I knew. I reacted as one would. The nurse looked me in the eye and said, "Mr. Landrum, you must be strong your wife needs you right now".
I gathered myself and entered the doorway just feet away. As I walked in I passed our baby girl wrapped in a blanket as I went to my wife's side. The next hours were very personal and I will never forget them. We were able to spend an hour in our room with McKaylee and then they took her.
The balance of the experience has unfolded over the 21 years that would have been our angel's life. I want to express some things about my emotions and feelings and feel it appropriate to do after all these years.
I became bitter toward the doctor due to his neglect. I was convinced that if we had another doctor things may have turned out differently. I became bitter toward God. I had a sense of entitlement due to having made what I thought were mostly proper decisions throughout life and felt betrayed. Why would you let this happen to me? I became bitter toward myself for not demanding the doctor do stress tests earlier... at the due date. Further, I had asked for the doctor to induce labor at the due date and allowed him to talk me out of it. Had I been more of a man and spoke my mind I might have saved her!?
To be honest, it took years to overcome many of the feelings and thoughts. I forgave myself last. The doctor was not worth wasting my emotions toward and I suprisingly found it easiest to forgive him. I felt comfort that if he was at fault that he would eventually be accountable. After a few years I came to the realization that my selfish resentment toward God was entirely backward and shameful. How could I shut out the 1 source of comfort and insight into my wife and I's tragedy? Without the love of God I could not have come to peace with such a difficult experience. To be honest, I am not sure that I have fully overcome the inward feelings that I had toward myself but do know that I have learned a great deal about myself in the process so far. I know that my Heavenly Father loves me and wants me to be happy.
Anyway. I felt it appropriate to share some of my feelings and thoughts with my family after all these years. You were all part of this with us. You hurt and cried at our loss and the felt the pain we were experiencing. It was your loss as well. I truly believe there were bonds of love created through the experience. We thank each of you for the strength you provided us at such a difficult time. I will never forget the image of our loved ones surrounding us as we said goodbye to her, together, as a family.
The circumstances did not allow for me to be there as Wendy went into labor. Ginger and Scott were there for her. In hindsight I realize the hand of God in the events. I know myself. God knows me. I could not have been in the room when it was discovered that she was gone. My vacancy caused Wendy to use her own strength. I would have complicated that and made it harder for her. However, I walked into the room minutes after she delivered McKaylee. One of the truths I have come to learn is that my loving Heavenly Father was in control of those events to protect my wife and I both from even further hurt. This was not coincidental. I admire and respect my wife for the rock that she is. I lean on her. I learn from her.
I have one very overdue and sincere appreciation to express. My brother Scott Livingston was there for my wife in a situation I could not be. He held her hand. He leant her strength. He comforted her. He blessed her. I will eternally be grateful and I know he fully comprehends my love for him and his wife for their service at that time. That is a bond that will not be lost.
After 21 years I still feel my daughter's place in our family. I know that she would have a little bit of each of my other girls in looks and spirit. Therefore, I believe I have caught glimpses of her. She is beautiful.
Download Now: let's get rude by Blush Design PDF
8 years ago
8 comments:
Beautiful, MJ, just beautiful.
I remember having an extremely difficult time and couldn't gain control of my emotions. You, yes YOU were the one who comforted me and said that everything was okay because of Heavenly Father's plan. I didn't understand at the time how you could be so positive in that situation, but you need to know what a strength you were to me.
I have missed her for 21 years. I think of her and your family every year at this time. Aren't we so grateful for the Plan? For our knowledge and acceptance of something so grand?
Sure love ya!!
To be honest I have never even shed a single tear over that experience and thats because until just now I had never done just that, experienced it. That was very touching. I have yet to have a child of my own and that was pretty difficult to read. I can only immagine the hurt that must have put on you. Thank you for sharing such an intimate story. Your family is a strength to all of us.
Mike,
I read your post this morning and have thought all day about it...The memories of that day are still very vivid and tender for both Ginger and I. We were very grateful then and still are to this day that we could play a small part in seeing the works of God in your lives. On several occasions since these things occurred I have pondered on the question of why we were permitted to be there in such a sacred time...of the many things I remember, none is more poignant than the moment I laid my hands on Wendy's head, so sure I would be saying the words "your baby will be fine," and instead standing there in silence, waiting for the words that never came. I wanted so very much to make her live - but she had received all she needed - so glad that she is still at work in the service of our family - it will be a wonderful day to say "hello again."
we never really talked about this, i never took the time to tell you how sorry i was for your loss and how much i still miss the neice i never met, but i am sorry and i do miss her.
isn't it funny how much impact an event has...
i walked in a forest a few days ago that was my playground as a child, it had burned down and compleatly regrown since that time
i think your forest has grown again
love to you and your family,
shawn
That should be sent to the Ensign to strengthen those who know this experience to well. I cant touch the intensity of that day. I was so far away, not full filling my roll as a big sister. It was unbareable for me trying to comprehend your loss. I thought my heart was truely ripping free of my body. I love your candor and willingness to revisit this with us. I wonder how many times she has advocated for each of us personally. Love Terri
What a beautiful unexpected post. I too think of McKaylee and your family on August 6th each year. Those feelings you shared are so deep and personal. I have always wondered how you both made it through such a deeply painful experience. You were on my mind quickly after I tasted just a touch of the fear of losing a baby, and I thought of you both for several days. You are strong faith-filled people. I love you both. Thanks for sharing those feelings with us. I agree with Ter, that would make a great Ensign article, to help others heal.
It has taken me a few days to try and adequately respond. This experience is so tender. I am thankful for the additional insights into your heart. I now know even more about how difficult that day was for you.I am thankful to have been there and experienced all of the tenderness. I have always believed the Lord was in charge of that day (as He is with all others)- I felt his presence.
Thanks for sharing this with us all Mike! Sometimes when I'm driving down the road (which is when I do alot of deep thinking) I still cry about the thought of that day. I was young but I still remember the pain in Wendy's face. I look forward to meeting Miss McKaylee one day in our heavenly home. I love you guys.
Post a Comment