Monday, August 31, 2009

Some battles shouldn't have to be...

To battle the norm of society is one thing when teaching your children right from wrong. But, to have to battle "your own" is just simply too much!

My wonderful daughter returned from her mission 2 weeks ago. She has represented Christ and has lived a life in tune with being his disciple. She is sensitive to living closely in tune with the spirit and being obedient.

So, as I dropped her off in Provo last week to attend her 3rd year at BYU I did not expect her to face adversity. I expected her to feel safe, confident and excited. However, she quickly faced a difficult decision.

She applied to work in the same department as she did prior to her mission. It appeared her chances were very promising due to her past experience, exceptional work ethic and the fact that a good friend and old co-worker was the hiring supervisor. What a relief, obtaining work soon would be a relief and definite blessing. As hoped, she was contacted and told that she could have the job.

However, she faced a moral dilemma. She ultimately desired securing a job at the MTC teaching Tagalog. But, securing work there is no easy task and could take a long time. So, the sure job was the smart move but "what if I get offered a job at the MTC?"

Brit asked my opinion of what to do. I thought it out. I then gave her my advice. I felt that where she knew going in she was also pursuing employment at the MTC that it would be best to be forthright and let her friend/supervisor know that.

So, Brit did what I believe to be the professional and honest thing and notified BYU as to her intentions. The response she received was VERY discouraging. She was simply manipulated! She was told that if she wanted the job she would have to give a 1 year commitment or the job would go to another applicant. Keep in mind that the job was given to Britney just days earlier.

So, instead of having her professional and forthright integrity rewarded she was manipulated. What disappointment. Now, I believe it important to recognize that "people" work at BYU and are prone to mistakes just as anywhere but I am still discouraged.

So, should Brit have withheld information and increased her chances to have employment?

This I know, everything will work out for her due to her honesty and obedience. I will not be suprised to see her working at the MTC by the end of the month. They would be fortunate to have her.

I am proud of you for being sensitive to such matters Britney. And for much more.

4 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

Good luck, Good Girl!!

Em said...

Being "forthright" with employers or potential employers, doesn't seem to always help your chances. I had a coworker who hid her husband's acceptance into law school (and thus them moving) as long as she could because she feared she'd be terminated before getting her maternity leave (she was 8 months pregnant). She informed me, "its happened before". It worked out for my coworker, and I believe it will for Brit too. Despite it all.

Jen said...

Anyone would be lucky to have that girl! I think it will work out for her just fine! She sure is a lovely lady!

shawn rowley said...

i understand her dilema, but i feel differently.

i may simply be justifying my position.

eight months ago having no work and trying to figure out what i would do next, i attended a employment work shop put on at the church employment office. it was a two day event.

when exactly this delema was presented Bro Tolbler a missionary and emlpoyment professional for 40 years told us " when you are in negotiation for a position nothing is certain unless offered and presented to you in writting, they give you no guarentee and you don't either, unless it is a contractural agreement, they aren't going to pay you if you get hit by a car or if ther funding runs out, we are all subject to a world were conditions are ever changing, for them and for you. these conditions only change if new solid offers arise, they might find a better employee, you might find a better job. "might" does nothing until it becomes real."

if she had been promised a job at the MTC with an effective starting date , then it would have been a different story.

just my opinion