When do you recognize that you are too old to do certain things? I am not so sure that the answer is the same for everyone. I figure this is true because I am in an elite group of 5 or so guys my age in the entire Burley league that are still playing softball. Everyone else is young enough to be my kid!
I will say that I have fun. Maybe that is why I stick with it. However, I pay the price. I have a stress fracture in my left foot. Tuesday I pulled my ham string on my right leg. I barely recover each week before my next game. Yet, I still showed up last night to pitch and hobble to first base (my team needs me... ok, I need my team).
I figure if this guy can still suit up so can I! Go old-timers! (notice his shirt?) And hey, I am batting 560 (on base more than half the time) so why hang up the Kleats? I even made a diving catch a week ago that was remeniscent of what used to be! And, one game I hit 2 triples and a double (before the torn leg muscle that is). Now, I simply try to get a walk so I don't have to run. Pinch runner please...
7 comments:
I say you're only as old as you act. You'll continue to be young (yet broken in someway it sounds like) if you continue to play sports and do what you enjoy. Way to go, Old Man! : )
And don't forget, "there's no crying in [softball]!"
if you're having fun, why stop now?
I think if it is something you love- bravo for you to just keep on doing it. We act like grown ups way to often, sometimes we just need to let our hair down and...I don't know...have a slip n' slide contest! Wish you had video of that diving catch. Dang.
you will never be old...
and i get injured getting out of bed, so you're are my hero, no i'm not kidding.
you act like a young man.
I am feeling your pain. No, really quite literally it seems that the smallest things trigger a strain or ache. It is great that you stay active in what you love because that is where your youthfulness is really determined.
If it makes you feel any better, I'm the oldest person on my softball team and I come home with a few new aches every week . . . and I'm 5 years younger than you are. The way I see it though, I have lots of years ahead of me to sit back and watch, so as long as I can keep catching and throwing the ball and getting on base more often than not, I'll keep playing. I'll work through the aches and pains in the solitude of my house after the game is over. I did get guarantees from my friends that they will tell me when I've become the weak spot on the team. They tell me I'm not there yet . . . so PLAY BALL!!
Friends are inherently friends due to their ability to lie properly when it really counts.
But, I am proud you are still at it.
Post a Comment