My sister Julie is probably one of the people that I know that can rival my competitive nature. Therefore, this post is dedicated to her.
Tonight we played a nail biter of a softball game. We actually jumped up on them by 10 runs in the first inning. Everyone on our team hit well. However, we spent the next 5 1/2 innings after that allowing them to catch up and go ahead by 3 runs in the top of the 7th. We were home so we were last at bat with a chance to go ahead for the win.
I was 5th in the line up. Our first two batters stayed composed and got decent hits and got on base. We then had a fly out. The 4th batter hit a great shot and allowed one of our guys to score. We were now down by 2 (19 to 17) with one out and 2 runners on. I will admit I was nervous as I walked to the plate but anyone that knows me understands that I live for moments like this. I want the ball for the buzzer winning shot. I want to be at bat in a crucial moment. A desire like this requires a willingness to be the goat as much as it allows you to be the hero! Risky business but a true competitor lives for it.
So. To this point I had gone 4 for 5 at bat. I was called out for stepping forward to far in my stride as I swung. A call I haven't seen in all the years I have played. Stepping on the plate maybe but too far forward? Come on, I have long legs. It would be one thing if they chalked the box but you could barely see the plate let alone a batters box. I was tempted to step back and swing way back (at least close to the umps nose) on my next at bat. I resisted the temptation. Boy do I have a little devil on one of my shoulders.
In came the pitch. I personally like first pitches. Most pitchers try to throw a perfect strike the first pitch due to most batters waiting for a 2nd pitch to hopefully go ahead in the count and put pressure on the pitcher. So, in comes a perfect flat strike. The kind I like. I lean slightly back on my right leg and push forward with it in motion as I swing the bat. The contact felt really good but it was heading straight at the left fielder as a line drive. It appeared to be hit perfectly for an easy catch without him even needing to move. But, as the ball approached him it seemed to pick up momentum. He started running back and jumped to catch it. It cleared his mit by inches.
I forgot all about my ham string and soar foot. Adrenaline took over. I ran the bases like I was 43 again. We went ahead and won 20 to 19. I thought my team was going to lift me over their heads by the energy they were giving off but instead they just surrounded and mauled me. A mauling I didn't mind one bit.
Fun. Then I came home and received my 2nd jump and hug of the day. I am going to bed with a smile.
Download Now: let's get rude by Blush Design PDF
8 years ago
4 comments:
way to go slugger..this moment is yours. congratulations
Proud? For sure! And a little jealous. Our softball season didn't end nearly as well, and I didn't have a moment like yours in the championship game. But, I just lived vicariously through you and almost feel a little better about coming in second.
When Taylor makes an incredible unpredictable save his team mates say " That was a sick play dude"
Mike that was sick for sure! Good for the heart in more ways than one
Hurray. What a Memorable moment. I think we all live for those kind of muggings and jump-hugs. Congratulations
Post a Comment